Friday, June 17, 2011

Quilty Goodness

One of the quilt blogs I read regularly has started a quilt a long with another blogger. I have always wanted to do a quilt a long or knit a long but it seems that whenever I happen upon one it has ended a long time ago or it is not something I want to make. There was the well known Central Park Hoodie knit-a-long that I missed out on though I did buy the pattern on Ravelry and still plan on making it one day. So, when I saw this Farmer's Wife Quilt a long (FWQAL) just getting started I was in! I immediately ordered the book from Amazon and then we left to go camping, which helped to get my mind off the agonizing wait for the book.
In the meantime, I am following the other people in the group on Flickr and Twitter. There are some nice blocks posted and it sounds like a there's a big following.
Now is your chance to join in if you are a quilter. Come on, all the cool kids are doing it! You're not afraid are you? On second thought, maybe you shouldn't. It's very difficult, for experienced quilters only. (lol!)

So, yesterday I got the Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt book in the mail so I am ready to start!

Today I am going to start with 2 blocks. I am choosing 2 easy blocks with only 2 templates -#1 and #3 if you are using the templates, OR a 2.5" square and 2-7/8" square for half square triangles if you don't want to use the templates.
Now I just need to head down to my lair and start digging through all my bins of fabric. I do enjoy selecting fabrics but I don't have my fabric organized yet, so I am not looking forward to the digging part.  My plan is to gradually get these cubby holes up in my lair all along 1 wall.
 
So far I just have 2 shelving units up which is holding my yarn stash. I got these from Target for $50 each. They are perfect for my needs! Two units holds 5 big bins of yarn! And, they have the fabric drawers in all different colors, and the top provides a nice shelf for more storage.
Here's my current fabric situation. Yechh!
I hope you will join the QAL. It should be fun. Have a nice weekend!

No comments: